Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A short missive for Thanksgiving

Ah, Thanksgiving. That time of year where many of us take stock of our lives. This year is no different.

As I begin my annual taking-of-stock, it feels a bit strange this year. There is a slight undercurrent of sadness mixed with gratitude and genuine contentment. I have been blessed with so many things:
  • Though we lost Jim, a.k.a. Santa, a little over a week ago, I feel profoundly grateful that I got to know him. He will always be associated with boisterous laughter, sarcastic dry wit, and a tremendous enjoyment of life. Thanks, Jim, you have left a wonderful legacy.
  • I've had another divine year with my soulmate.
  • I still have my loving family, and enjoy their company.
  • I am truly blessed with good health. This year I completed 7 half-marathons, one ultra, two half-iron triathlons, 6 sprint/olympic distance triathlons, a duathlon, and 13 other miscellaneous runs/stair climbs/mud crawls. Not bad for this 49-year-old body.
  • My circle of friends continues to grow. Friends are what make life worth living.
  • I still enjoy what I do to pay the rent.
Have I forgotten anything? Probably. The list is too long to remember it all. How blessed is that?

1 comment: