Thursday, December 8, 2011

Keep moving


Someone posted this video on Facebook. It ends with the simple phrase, "You will do this." It's a short video, a little over two minutes. As a tri-geek, I never tire of watching it. However, it has a lot to offer non-tri-geeks.



Even though I completed my first Ironman almost three months ago, I still watch this with a sense of awe. I think, wow, those people are amazing. Then I stop short, realizing that I am now one of those people. Really? How is that possible? I'm just some 50-year-old woman with a desk job, learning about menopause, living in the middle of the cornfields. Not anybody special.

I watch the accounting of the distances: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, full marathon. 140.6 miles, all human-powered, all in one day, under 17 hours. Damn. Did I really do that?

Not only did I do it, I had a fabulous day and, for the most part, enjoyed the experience. How can that be?

I guess this is what can happen when you embrace the Ironman motto, "Anything is Possible". It really is true. Anything IS possible.

What a wonderful way to look at life! For me, it's a physical/mental journey, testing the limits of my endurance. For others, it's singing, writing, starting a new business, losing weight, building a career. For all of us, it's (sometimes quite literally) putting one foot in front of the other, always moving forward.

Follow your dreams. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment