Friday, January 20, 2012

Bike floggings and FTP

I am not a cyclist. I survive the bike portion of triathlons, but I am not a cyclist. I am actually quite pitiful on the bike, but less pitiful than I used to be. At least now I can survive tough workouts like the one below.

[Workouts are done at a small fitness studio with seven Computrainers set up in a row. There are a couple of large flat-screen monitors on the wall that display the outputs of all seven trainers. You can watch your output, or get depressed by looking at the output of some of the other cyclists who really are cyclists. It would be painfully boring, if not impossible, for me to do this alone in my living room. In addition, the equipment is expensive and I don't want to pay for it.]

-- Warmup --
5 min zone 1
15 min zone 2
2 min zone 1
5 min FTP
3 min zone 1

--- Repeat 5x ---
3 min 110-115% of FTP
2 min zone 1
2 min 110-115% of FTP
2 min zone 1
1 min 110-115% of FTP
2 min zone 1

FTP means "Functional Threshold Power", or how hard can you go for a particular period of time. This is measured using a power meter - in our case, a Computrainer. A Computrainer is a power meter that is built in to a typical bike trainer, and sends data to a computer where you can see your output in real time.

FTP is calculated by doing a time trial, usually for 20 minutes, while hooked up to a power meter. You go as hard as you can for 20 minutes, with as steady an effort as possible. 95% of your average power output is your FTP.

So why care about FTP? Because this gives you a measurable number for planning a workout. The best way to improve is to train using intervals of varying degrees of effort, not pushing hard all the time. For improvement on the bike, you want to work out using different percentages of this number, both above and below. For example, my current FTP is 141 (low because I'm just not that strong on the bike, yet). This means that my zone 1 (easy/resting, <57% of my FTP), is anything with a power output of 79 or less. This zone is where I go to rest and recover from harder efforts. Zone 2 is slightly harder, and is good for warming up. And so on.

The workout above is a great example of a steady 30-minute warm-up before the hard effort begins. Start easy, increase the effort a little, do one short burst to wake the body up, then rest a bit. The real work begins with the first 3 minutes of hard effort, and continues for the next hour. Three minutes may not sound like much, but it is, especially the 5th time around, after 48 minutes of interval work.

On a side note, training with a group is the only way to go for me. Even if it means occasionally overhearing things that make me wince. For example:

Outrageously fit/strong 50+ male cyclist #1: What do you weigh now that the holidays are over?
Outrageously fit/strong 50+ male cyclist #2: Around 150. Trying to get it down a little. What about you?
Cyclist #1: Oh I'm at 144 right now.
Me, thinking: Dear god, that's what I weigh. Are you kidding me?

Sigh.


Many thanks to Whitney and Chad at The Fitness Lab for the guided floggings.

2 comments: